Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Little Perspective

Here is sit at the end of 2011 and thinking back at what kind of year we've had. Good times, bad times. Happiness, loss. And definitely lots of changes. Makes you wonder what 2012 has in store. I'm definitely thankful I had my husband home the entire year. And dealing with the PTSD, although its a life changing illness, at least we learned alot about it and how to approach it better. Granted there are still some days that I find to be bad ones, or he finds to be bad ones. It's all something we're learning to deal with.

Knowing that he's going through the med board process and this time next year, we will be back near family and hopefully in a good place, is enough to keep us going. It's scary the thought of getting out of the military. Which, I'm sure, some people think it's scary being IN the military. But it's what he's always known and it's been my constant throughout the past several years. Even if that constant is a constant life of changes and living at someone else's command. But it's a security like most civilians don't understand. The security of having a job and a paycheck. The security of having a home, even if we have to change that often as well. We may not be financially rich most paydays, but we make it work. And we know if we can't make it, there is help out there for us to get through. There's a security of knowing that every one of your neighbors and friends are just like you. They all know the trials and challenges that we each face. Which brings a connection to the community. We may not know our neighbor across the street, but you know if they needed help, you will be right there to give it to them, just as they would for you.  It's an unspoken connection of "hey, I've been there and I know what you're going through".  It's scary to think that the outside civilian world doesn't have that. Being near family though will step in and take over that connection. That's the best thing I can hope for.

I'm also hoping that in 2012 my photography will move to another level. I look forward to getting that diploma saying I'm certified and I can rock that camera knowing that people who put down others and say things about an over-populated career field will see there is one more person who takes it just as serious and has a totally different perspective on it. I think everyone has a touch of photographer in them. Everyone has a bit of creativity inside that they just need to have the confidence to let it shine. I hope I can help others to see that in the new year.

I'm thankful for so many friends and for my family. Friends all over the world.
I'm thankful for the opportunities the military has given us.
I'm thankful for the opportunities our kids have been given living this life.
And to take these opportunities and experiences back to a civilian life is amazing! I look forward to it!

Have a wonderful new year my friends. And may your possibilities be endless and you make mistakes along the way and learn from them and make your dreams come true. Enjoy the life you've been given. And if you don't enjoy it, change it. The new year is in your hands. Just as mine is in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment